User Rating:Click to vote
Yelp Review, Overview, Features and Comparison of Alternatives
One of the most popular features of Yelp is its focus on providing its users with the reliable information about consumer service they may encounter in the businesses they plan to visit.
Powered by the community and easy to use interface, Yelp provides its users with unprecedented access to the information that can greatly change their shopping or eating habits.
Popular recommendation engine for discovering business around you
Yelp is a one of the first local business search website that has since 2004 managed to expand into one of the most popular websites on the internet. Offering everyone instant access to one of the largest small and large business search engine, within just a mere seconds you will find what business are located around you and find the services and items you require. By covering large array of business categories (ranging from restaurants, entertainment, nightlife, financial services, real estate, hotels and many others), Yelp has managed to become leader in the field of providing users quick, reliable and very content rich service about their local economy and community.
Yelp was founded by former Paypal employees Jeremy Stoppelman and Russel Simmons, who quickly expanded their operation outside of San Francisco and opening gates to more than 61 million unique monthly visitors that are adding, discovering and visiting countless businesses in their environment. With presence and Unites States, Spain, France, Australia, Germany and Netherlands, Yelp continues to expand its user base with each passing day.
The type of information that Yelp is offering to its users is not substantially different form other sites in the same area of operation, but what Yelp has and others do not is incredible reach and wealth of information that is growing with each day since the site was launched in 2006. Many territories from all around the world are supported, and users can browse each one of them and discover business from large amount of categories – even those that are not often covered by the competition such as pet services, religious organizations, public services and others. In addition to the hard data that is provided about every place of business (location, website, contact information, etc.), the most important part that you need to take notice are user reviews who are according to many the most important source of data whether you need to contact that business or not. Read and write reviews about local businesses!
Yelp’s design is focused on minimalist approach that is giving its user maximum of data without forcing on them unnecessary UI elements and intrusive tools. Searching, discovering and reading about new businesses can be done by complete computer novices, with all data presented to you in easily readable way.
Yelp is also completely free, offering everyone chance to create free account and start sharing their own data to the Yelp community. There are also no additional fees.
Registration and cost
Most notably, everyone can browse Yelp’s database without the need to register account. This enables much higher amount of traffic on the website, enabling everyone to quickly get informed and gather data. If you decide that you want to create new account, you can quickly connect your Facebook credentials with Yelp and building of your new Yelp community can start instantly (you can immediately import friend list from Facebook to Yelp).
Yelp is without the doubt the most completelocal business search web service that can truly revolutionize the way you are discovering new deals and new businesses in your local environment. Try it out!
10 Things You Should Know About Yelp:
- Yelp was founded in 2004 to help people find great local businesses like dentists, hair stylists and mechanics.
- Yelp had an average of approximately 71 million monthly unique visitors in Q1 2012.
- Yelpers have written over 27 million local reviews.
- In addition to reviews, you can use Yelp to find events, lists and to talk with other Yelpers.
- Every business owner (or manager) can setup a free account to post photos and message her customers.
- Yelp makes money by selling ads to local businesses - you'll see these clearly labeled "Yelp Ads" around the site.
- Paying advertisers can never change or re-order their reviews.
- Yelp has an automated filter that suppresses a small portion of reviews - it targets those suspicious ones you see on other sites.
- You can access Yelp via iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, and more - see the full list of mobile apps here.
- The Weekly Yelp brings locals updates on the latest and greatest business openings & other happenings.